The year is rapidly coming to a close but before it's over I thought I'd share my favorite things from the small screen this year. We cancelled our cable two years ago and since then my television viewing has changed (and decreased) dramatically. If I'm going to go to the trouble to find something on the Internet or hunt it down on Netflix, it's got to be good.
Here's what made the cut:
1. Girls I love this show and believe Lena Dunham is a genius. My life is as far as it could be from these "girls" and yet I still feel such a strange kindred connection. I can't help but root for this rag tag group of characters. The new season starts on the 12th but you can watch Season 1 and 2 on HBO Go.
2. Breaking Bad I started watching the series last year and was caught up by the finale - the only episode of the series I watched live. I'm not sure what I can really add to the analysis of this show. It is dark. It is brilliant. It is storytelling at its best. The entire series is available on Netflix.
3. Mad Men Don Draper. Please, don't leave me. You have until 2015 to catch up so you don't miss the culture experience that will be the end of this brilliant series. Past seasons are available on Netflix. The first half of the final season airs in 2014.
4. Orange is the New Black I've watched a lot of television in my life but I've never seen any show create such a wide and diverse array of female characters. I absolutely loved this Netflix original series and can't wait for it to return in 2014.
5. Top of the Lake This miniseries by Jane Champion (director of The Piano) haunted me for weeks. It's beautiful. It's stark. It has one of the best characters I encountered this year - Robin Griffin - portrayed by the brilliant Elizabeth Moss. It is also available on Netflix.
Other things I loved and watched but I wouldn't call my favorite. Scandal. Parenthood. Game of Thrones. Veep. Parks and Recreation.
What about you? What was the best thing you watched in 2013?